I like puzzles! I like puzzlehunt-style puzzles the most, but logic puzzles have a place in my heart too.
The first puzzlehunt I participated in was the 2011 CiSRA puzzle hunt (archive.org link), with a bunch of people from Art of Problem Solving. I kept hunting with people from the site for a couple years. In 2013, I was invited into the MIT Random Hall team to do the MIT Mystery Hunt. We didn’t win that year, but we did in 2014 and thus had to write the 2015 hunt. Three of my puzzles made it into the hunt.
Afterwards, I briefly hunted with a Plugh for MUMS Puzzlehunt 2015. In 2016, I got into MIT and started hunting pretty exclusively with my dorm floor, Floorpi, and the associated team ✈✈✈ Galactic Trendsetters ✈✈✈. With the latter group, I’ve also helped run the Galactic Puzzlehunt. After three successful hunts, we are on hiatus for 2020 because we won the 2020 MIT Mystery Hunt, so, as per longstanding tradition, we are writing the 2021 MIT Mystery Hunt.
Other things I’ve done include writing an Introduction to Puzzlehunts in 2019 and leading a team of puzzle authors to write and run the DP Puzzle Hunt, a hunt targeted at those new to puzzlehunts, in 2020.
In my spare time, I also occasionally put puzzles on my blog; mostly logic puzzles in the early days, but more puzzlehunt-style puzzles now. Just to give a feel, here’s a logic puzzle from 2012, one MellowMelon’s Double Back.
Some puzzles I’ve made:
- My puzzles in the 2021 MIT Mystery Hunt (see also writeup):
- Unchained (note: due to the round structure, it is not possible to “correctly” link to this puzzle)
- How to Run a Puzzlehunt
- Illiterate Programming
- Fish Hybridization
- Lime Sand Season (with Anderson Wang)
- Ignorance (with Jon Schneider, Mitchell Lee, and Xander Hughes)
- Look at What We Drew (with a large group)
- Thank You to Our Sponsors (with a large group)
- Green Building Meta (implementation; with Nathan Pinsker)
- My puzzles in the 2020 DP Puzzle Hunt:
- My puzzles in the 2019 Galactic Puzzle Hunt:
- Unsafe (with Jakob Weisblat)
- My puzzles in the 2018 Galactic Puzzle Hunt:
- My puzzles in the 2017 Galactic Puzzle Hunt:
- My puzzles in the 2015 Mystery Hunt:
- 2015 blog puzzlehunt puzzles:
- 2014 blog puzzle
- 2013 blog puzzle (“Puzzle 44 / ???”)
- 2012 blog puzzle (Puzzle 32 / Slitherlink [Crosslink + Liar])
Some other selected logic puzzles:
- Puzzle 43 / Fillomino [Nonrectangular + Walls]
- Puzzle 45 / Fillomino [No-Path]
- Puzzle 31 / Fillomino [Sashigane]
- Puzzle 41 / Slitherlink [Clones]
An incomplete, vaguely sorted list of all the puzzlehunts I’ve done and teams I did them with:
- 7/?: Smogon Puzzle Hunt 3: Shaymin Fan Club
- 7/?: another red dot team, 124th
- 6/?: Puzzle Potluck 3: pi, 7th
- 5/9: TTT Quarantine Puzzle Hunt: ✈, 1st
- 4/25: PuzzlehuntCMU, Getaway Hunt: ✈✈✈Galactic Vacationers✈✈🐉, 1st
- 2/1: My Little Pony: Puzzles are Magic: ::🐉 (solo), 22nd
- 2020 MIT Mystery Hunt (Penny Park): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 1st!
- (10/19–∞) Puzzle Boat 6: 📚📚📚 galactic typesetters 📚📚📚, 3rd
- (8/31–9/16) Distressed (Mark Halpin’s Labor Day Extravaganza): 🐰 (pronounced plugh), 4th
- (8/7–8/16) MUMS Puzzle Hunt 2019: ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 2nd
- (7/20–7/29) Smogon Puzzle Hunt 2: Showtime (Smogon Phashion Hcontest): Team Galactic, 1st
- (7/13) BAPHL 21: According to all known laws of ✈✈✈, there is no way a 🐝🐝🐝 should be able to ✈✈✈
- (6/15) Puzzle Potluck 2: Braunwaves, 18th
- (6/9) BAPHL 20: ✈✈✈. We finished exactly as they were announcing wrap-up.
- 2019 MIT Mystery Hunt (Molasses Awareness Day): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, ???
- (12/?) 2018 Caltech Puzzle Hunt: ???
- (10/6) BAPHL 19: ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈
- (7/2–10) 2018 SUMS: ⬆️⬆️⬆️Theoretical & Applied Updog🐕🐕🐕, 6th
- (2/24–) Cryptex Hunt, 111th
- 2018 MIT Mystery Hunt (Headhunters / Inside Out): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 5th
- (10/8) BAPHL 16 (squares): ۞۞۞ Galactic Imperium ۞۞۞, 2nd
- (9/30–10/1) REDDOThunt: 💼💼💼 Galactic Jobhunters 💼💼💼, 18th
- 2017 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi Beta, 14th
- 2017 MIT Mystery Hunt (Dungeons & Dragons): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 4th!
- 2016 SUMS: [pi], 2nd with 82 points and first to solve Meta
- 2016 mezzacotta Puzzle Competition: U+2708U+2708U+2708[pi]U+2708U+2708U+2708, 2nd (by points and solve time, behind 1st and the first to solve Meta)
- 2016 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi Z, tied for 3rd (we were over a minute slower by total solve time, but tied by point values because they were rounded to the minute for each puzzle, and the organizers granted us a tie)
- 2016 Berkeley Mystery Hunt: ✈✈✈ space pirATE Mercenaries ✈✈✈, 2nd? (✈✈✈ Galactic Trendsetters ✈✈✈ and teamNAME contingents in the SFBA were small enough that we merged)
- 2016 MIT Mystery Hunt (Huntception): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, ???
- 2016 MUMS: ⌊π⌋, 3rd? with 125 points
- 2015 MIT Mystery Hunt (20,000 Puzzles): writer team!
- 2015 Mark Halpin’s Labor Day Extravaganza: ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 6th
- 2015 MUMS: The Plugh Strikes Back, 4th? with 100 points
- 2015 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi 1, 2nd
- 2014 MUMS: not not AoPS, 78th with 50 points
- 2014 MIT Mystery Hunt (Alice in Wonderland): One Fish Two Fish Random Fish Blue Fish, first place!
- 2013 MUMS: not AoPS 75th with 25 points (literally just me)
- 2013 MIT Mystery Hunt (Coin Heist): Random Thymes, 5th?
- 2013 CiSRA: AoPS, 113rd with 59 points