Things I Like
A miscellaneous collection that partially overlaps with my links page:
This section is probably better labeled “things I use”.
- Operating system / computer: I’m in a transitory period. My old setup is OS X on a mid-2013 MacBook Pro; I’m trying to move to a dual-booted Dell XPS 13.
- Browser: Firefox with Vimium. Still sad to see Vimperator go, but I get why WebExtensions had to happen.
- Text editor: Vim with lots of plugins and the Jellybeans colorscheme. Keeping a hopeful eye on Neovim.
- Shell: fish.
- Code search tool: ag, the Silver Searcher
- Plaintext markup engine and format: Pandoc and Pandoc-Flavored Markdown (but I settle for Jekyll/Kramdown, the GitHub Pages defaults, when lazy, which is fairly often)
- Image editor: GIMP (protip: Window > Single-Window Mode makes the UI a lot friendlier). I use Adobe Illustrator for student group projects and am growing to appreciate it, but I don’t own a personal copy and they don’t quite fill the same niche anyway.
- Password manager: KeePassX, hoping to upgrade to KeePassXC soon once I figure out if I can trust this binary…
- Note-taking program: some combination of simple text files in Vim and Dropbox Paper (admittedly, I worked on it in a summer 2016 internship)
- To-do manager:
- Budgeting software: GnuCash
- Fonts: Fira, Ubuntu, Menlo, Futura, Gill Sans. For code I started using Hasklig (based on Source Code Pro) in September 2017 and have stuck with it (albeit with a
:set linespace=-2in Vim).
- Mouse: After several wireless mice breaking on me in incomprehensible ways, I got a Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum in July 2017. It’s pretty good.
- RSS reader: The Old Reader
- Pentatonix (YouTube link) (subjective best-of: Aha! Bohemian Rhapsody; Hallelujah; Radioactive (with Lindsey Stirling); Somebody That I Used to Know)
- The Musical Ghost (subjective best-of: Undertale [Electro Swing Remix]es of The Swing Brothers and Spear of Justice; Bendy and the Ink Machine — The Devil’s Swing [Glitch Swing remix (ft. OR3O)])
- Sam Tsui — #Selfie Piano Ballad
Stories and Games
- Ra (Sam Hughes)
- the Ace Attorney series
- Deadly Rooms of Death
Food & Drink
- Orange juice with maximum pulp
- Pearl milk tea — 30% sugar, less or no ice
- Most potatoes and potato derivatives
- Most things without cheese, really (and even pizza is usually fine)
- Emoji 🐉🔥
- Bo Burnham
- Party parrots
- The word “syzygy”
- Dark red, c. #cc0000
- Haskell’s list monad
- Haskell’s Ordering monoid
- Most Dangerous Writing App
- TVTropes (especially…)
- Setting em dashes open
- Grovyle (due to), Charizard (duh), Gligar, etc.
- “COTD: This place, for instance, is terribly disturbed (9)”
- Cayley’s formula (there are nn−2 labeled trees on n labeled vertices)
- Find the missing number: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, ?, 1, 1, 1
- List songs, such as “The Elements”, “We Didn’t Start the Fire”, and Pokéraps (including CollegeHumor’s and Neil Cicierega’s)
- (via Martin Gardner) You are playing a game called Say Red. A normal deck of 52 cards is shuffled face down, then you flip over the cards one by one. At some point, before you flip over some card, you should say “Red!” and you win iff the next card to be flipped over is red (diamonds or hearts, but all that matters is that these cards make up 1/2 of all cards). If you don’t say “Red!” before the first 51 cards, you have to say it before the last card. What strategies are optimal, and what is your probability of winning under them?