I like puzzles! I like puzzlehunt-style puzzles the most, but logic puzzles have a place in my heart too.
The first puzzlehunt I participated in was the 2011 CiSRA puzzle hunt, with a bunch of people from Art of Problem Solving. I kept hunting with people from the site for a couple years. In 2013, I was invited into the MIT Random Hall team to do the MIT Mystery Hunt. We didn’t win that year, but we did in 2014 and thus had to write the 2015 hunt. Three of my puzzles made it into the hunt.
Afterwards, I briefly hunted with a Plugh for MUMS Puzzlehunt 2015. In 2016, I got into MIT and started hunting pretty exclusively with my dorm floor, Floorpi, sometimes seen on leaderboards as [pi] or ⌊π⌋ or ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈. As of time of writing, our best recent performances have been getting 2nd in SUMS Puzzlehunt 2016 and getting 2nd in mezzacotta Puzzle Competition 2016. I’ve also contributed to the Galactic Puzzlehunt, a (2017, but hopefully recurring!) puzzlehunt by ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈.
In my spare time, I also occasionally put puzzles on my blog; mostly logic puzzles in the early days, but more puzzlehunt-style puzzles now. Just to give a feel, here’s a logic puzzle from 2012, one MellowMelon’s Double Back.
Some puzzles I’ve made:
Some other selected logic puzzles:
An incomplete, badly sorted list of all the puzzlehunts I’ve done and teams I did them with:
- BAPHL 16 (squares): ۞۞۞ Galactic Imperium ۞۞۞, 2nd
- REDDOThunt: 💼💼💼 Galactic Jobhunters 💼💼💼, 18th
- 2017 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi Beta, 14th
- 2017 MIT Mystery Hunt (Dungeons & Dragons): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 4th!
- 2016 SUMS: [pi], 2nd with 82 points and first to solve Meta
- 2016 mezzacotta Puzzle Competition: U+2708U+2708U+2708[pi]U+2708U+2708U+2708, 2nd (by points and solve time, behind 1st and the first to solve Meta)
- 2016 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi Z, tied for 3rd (we were over a minute slower by total solve time, but tied by point values because they were rounded to the minute for each puzzle, and the organizers granted us a tie)
- 2016 Berkeley Mystery Hunt: ✈✈✈ space pirATE Mercenaries ✈✈✈, 2nd? (✈✈✈ Galactic Trendsetters ✈✈✈ and teamNAME contingents in the SFBA were small enough that we merged)
- 2016 MIT Mystery Hunt (Huntception): ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, ???
- 2016 MUMS: ⌊π⌋, 3rd? with 125 points
- 2015 MIT Mystery Hunt (20,000 Puzzles): writer team!
- 2015 Mark Halpin’s Labor Day Extravaganza: ✈✈✈Galactic Trendsetters✈✈✈, 6th
- 2015 MUMS: The Plugh Strikes Back, 4th? with 100 points
- 2015 Palantir Puzzlehunt: Floor Pi 1, 2nd
- 2014 MUMS: not not AoPS, 78th with 50 points
- 2014 MIT Mystery Hunt (Alice in Wonderland): One Fish Two Fish Random Fish Blue Fish, first place!
- 2012 MUMS: AoPS, 89th with 7 points (rip)
- 2013 MUMS: not AoPS 75th with 25 points (literally just me)
- 2013 MIT Mystery Hunt (Coin Heist): Random Thymes, 5th?
- 2013 CiSRA: AoPS, 113rd with 59 points
- 2012 CiSRA: AoPS, 65th with 34 points
- 2011 CiSRA: AoPS, 90th with 28 points. A Typical Puzzle (PDF) is still a contender for my favorite puzzle of all time!